Police Log - .268 BAC? 'That's nothing...'



On December 7 at approximately 4:32 p.m. Officer Ali Jaafar, along with other members of the department, responded to the intersection of Kilvert Street and Jefferson Boulevard for a report of a head-on motor vehicle accident with possible injuries.

At the scene, Detective Ted Bulis was able to recognize that the driver of a Toyota RAV4, identified as Mary Kathleen DeFelice, 64, of 2637 Pawtucket Avenue in East Providence, may have been under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and exhibited signs of intoxication.

According to the report, DeFelice was involved in a head-on collision with another vehicle due to leaving her lane of travel completely and driving into oncoming traffic. She was found still sitting in her driver’s seat with her airbags deployed. She appeared to be uninjured, and was uncooperative with officers, stating that she needed to make a phone call and ignoring officer’s requests. When asked if she had consumed any alcoholic beverages she allegedly replied “well, clearly not enough.”

DeFelice was asked to exit her vehicle and participate in a series of standardized sobriety tests. Based upon her performance and the officers’ experience and training, it was determined that DeFelice was unfit to operate a motor vehicle safely. She was taken into custody and transported to police headquarters while her car was towed from the scene.

At the station she reportedly told officers that she had “five or six nips” and was on her way back from Walmart headed to the Extended Stay where she and her husband were staying. She said that she drank some while parked at Walmart and while on the road on her way to the hotel. A search of her vehicle located multiple empty nip bottles under the driver’s seat.

At the station, DeFelice agreed to take a chemical breathalyzer test, which produced blood alcohol readings of .268 and .253 percent. Upon learning the results, DeFelice reportedly stated “That’s nothing. I was once transported to the hospital and my blood results showed that I was a .4.” It was also reported that DeFelice did not show much empathy or remorse in regards to her actions, and let out a laugh when hearing the results.

DeFelice was booked and processed for driving under the influence first offense, and was issued a citation for leaving the lane of travel. She was later released to a sober adult.


Officer Matthew Smith responded to an Eastgate Drive residence on December 8 around 11:12 p.m. for a report of suspicious activity. While en route, the officer was informed by dispatch that the reporting party previously had her purse stolen at the Crowne Plaza on Greenwich Avenue and was concerned that someone may have gained entry into her residence.

At the scene, the victim stated that she was at the Department of Labor and Training Christmas party at the Crowne Plaza, where she left her gold purse at her table while she went to get food. Upon retuning, she noticed that $19 was missing. She left the table again to dance and when she again returned she found the purse was missing. Inside the purse was a cell phone, debit card, insurance card, driver’s license and house keys.

The victim stated that a suspicious blonde woman and an unknown black male who were unfamiliar to her and may have been connected to the theft as they were seen at and near the table.

Officer Smith conducted a walk through of the residence and ensured that the property was secured. A report of the incident was forwarded to department detectives for review.


On December 6 around 8:18 a.m. Officer Brian Holleran was assigned and responded to the Trader Joe’s on Bald Hill Road to take a report of counterfeit bills passed.

At the store the officer spoke with an employee who stated that two $100 counterfeit had been passed during two separate incidents. The employee showed the officer how the bills passed the security pen tests but that the serial numbers were the same on both bills.

According to the report, around 7:56 p.m. on December 2, a dark-skinned male in his 20s wearing a gray sweatshirt with short hair purchased $13.47 worth of items, paying with a $100 bill. The bill felt off to the cashier but when checked with a counterfeit pen it passed. At 8 p.m., another dark-skinned man in his mid 20s wearing a blue hoodie with very short hair made a purchase for $6.75 with another $100 bill that passed the counterfeit test. Once the transactions were complete, supervisors were informed and it was soon determined that the bills were fake through other means. A report was taken, and there are currently no identified suspects.


Around noon on December 4, Officer Christian Vargas responded to the rear of Courtesy Cleaners on Toll Gate Road for a report of a larceny from a trailer.

At the scene he met with the complainant, who stated he was the owner of Cidade Landscaping. He said he uses the rear of the property to store his equipment. He told the officer that he parked the trailer on December 2 around 6:30 p.m. When he returned on the 4th, he observed the lock on the side door of the trailer had been cut and that numerous tools were missing from inside.

There was no damage to the trailer itself. Taken from inside were a Redmax blower, a Shindaiwa blower, trimmers, a chainsaw, a compressor and a hedge clipper. The complainant informed the officer that he wished to press charges if a suspect is caught. The case was forwarded to department detectives.


Officer Alfred Silveira was dispatched to Sumner Avenue on December 6 at approximately 5:21 p.m. for a report of a theft from a motor vehicle.

At the scene he met with the vehicle’s owner, who stated that both of her cars had been rummaged through during the overnight hours. Among the items taken from the cars were phone chargers, a Bluetooth headset, and $14 cash. A report was taken for documentation purposes, and there are no suspects or witnesses.


Dispatch advised Officer Quentin Tavaras of a report of a shoplifting in progress at the Bald Hill Road Kohl’s on December 6 around 5 p.m. on December 6. At the store, he met with a member of the Loss Prevention team, who explained that he observed a female suspect, later identified as Crystal Boyd, 55, of 355 Hardig Road Apt. B201 in Warwick, enter the electronics department and select a Pulse 3 Bluetooth speaker. She then is alleged to have left the store without paying for the merchandise.

Outside, Boyd was approached and asked to return to the store, where the $198.99 speaker was recovered. Boyd was taken into custody and transported to police headquarters where she was booked and processed and charged with misdemeanor shoplifting. She was also issued a no trespass order to Kohl’s before being released.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment