Police Log



On July 31 around 10:30 p.m., several members of the Johnston Police Department responded to the Indoor Recreation Center on Atwood Avenue in reference to a stolen town vehicle. At the scene they spoke with the reporting party, who stated he parked his town vehicle, a 2006 GMC Envoy, in the facility’s parking lot at approximately 5:15 p.m. When he returned at approximately 10 p.m., the vehicle was missing.

Police were then called and a review of the complex’s video surveillance was undertaken. According to police, surveillance showed several males exit the complex and walk to a gold colored vehicle in the parking lot. Moments later a suspect ran to the town vehicle and opened the passenger side door where he rummaged through the items inside before returning to the gold car. Two suspects then again ran back to the town vehicle, which they entered and started, then proceeded to exit the parking lot and head south on Atwood Avenue.

Dispatch personnel then entered the vehicle into their database as stolen, and checks of the surrounding area proved negative. A report was then forwarded to department detectives for follow up. Police also maintained a watch over the sports complex in the event the suspects returned.

On Aug. 2, three suspects, Pablo Peres, 20, of 135 Springfield St. in Providence, Willy Sanchez, 19, of 98 Daniel Ave. Apt. 2 in Providence and Gerald Jean-Louis, 19, of 37 Middletown St. in Providence, voluntarily came into the Johnston Police Department regarding their involvement in the theft. They were advised of their rights, provided a handwritten statement and admitted to their involvement, according to the report.

Each was then placed under arrest and charged with larceny (auto theft) over $1,500 and conspiracy. They were processed and then held for arraignment.

According to police, the vehicle has been reclaimed by the town and found to be in the same condition without any damage.

“I want them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. They’re all adults, and it’s insulting that they would come and use our facility and have the audacity to steal. They’re permanently barred from the facility, and if we have any other incidents with anybody else, they’ll be barred,” said Mayor Joseph Polisena.


Patrolman Louis Cotoia along with several other members of the department responded to the Putnam Avenue Dunkin’ Donuts on Aug. 2 around 11:53 p.m. in reference to an intoxicated female. At the scene they spoke with an employee, who stated that a co-worker alerted her that there was a suspicious woman walking behind the business.

According to the police report, officers walked outside and observed the woman, later identified as Savannah Guyton, 25, of 8 Eric Place Apt. 8 in North Providence with her pants down to her ankles urinating. Officers asked her if she was okay and she replied yes before she stumbled away towards the front of the building.

A witness then approached the officers and stated that they had observed the suspect attempting to drive away earlier and that they were extremely concerned that she would hurt herself or somebody else. According to the witness, Guyton almost struck another vehicle in the parking lot and that she was incoherent and uncooperative. She also placed her vehicle in drive and struck the witness in the leg before the passerby removed the keys from the ignition. The witness was treated by the Johnston Fire Department but refused transport to the hospital.

Officers then approached Guyton, who was then seated in the front passenger seat of her vehicle. She displayed signs of intoxication and officers could detect the smell of alcohol as she spoke. She was very uncooperative and only cared about the cell phone that she lost. Officers also observed an empty bottle of Corona in the rear passenger seat.

Guyton was then asked to exit the vehicle, and police stated that she was extremely belligerent, used profanities and ordered the police to leave her alone. Officers then asked her to consent to a series of standardized sobriety tests, which she refused.

Guyton was placed in restraints and escorted to a police cruiser. According to the report, she told officers that “you’re only arresting me because I’m black.” She was read her rights then transported to police headquarters where her belligerent behavior continued. She later refused to take a chemical Breathalyzer test.

As a result of her refusal and behavior, and the officers’ experience and training, she was charged with driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test at 12:44 a.m. Background checks revealed she had a suspended Connecticut driver’s license. As a result of the suspect not operating on a highway she was not charged. She was issued a citation for refusal to submit to a chemical test and presence of alcoholic beverages while operating in a motor vehicle. She was later released with a Third District Court date to appear on August 21.


On Aug. 1 around 12:54 p.m., Officer Matthew Leveillee and other members of the department responded to the Plainfield Street Walgreens in reference to a shoplifting that had just occurred. While headed to the location officers were advised by dispatch that a female suspect wearing a white shirt and carrying several bags had just left the store.

At the scene a store employee directed officers to the shoplifting suspect. At first she provided an alias, the revealed her true identity as Ginesi Garcia, 41, of 221 Farmington Ave. Apt. 2 in Cranston. She was then detained.

According to the police account, Garcia was covered in dirt and looked as though she had slid down the dirt near the river bed at the rear of the business as she was trying to flee the area. Several bags were located by the river, which contained numerous items from the business. The items were then confirmed as belonging to the store. A prescription for medication in another person’s name was found on Garcia.

According to store employees, Garcia was observed in the store for 45 minutes placing items in a carriage. She then went to the register to purchase a 12 pack of Coca-Cola, and claimed she was going outside to get her card to pay. She then took the carriage of items, valued at $396.96, with her without paying.

Garcia was taken into custody and advised of her rights before being transported to police headquarters. She was charged with possession of a schedule II drug, felony shoplifting as she had three prior convictions for shoplifting, habitual offender shoplifting and obstruction. She was held pending arraignment as a probation violator.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment