Knife-wielding man shot at Warwick Police Headquarters


Warwick Police shot a knife-wielding man in the police station lobby last Friday.

At 4:20 p.m., Jan. 14, a group of patrol officers were entering the main lobby of Police Headquarters from the community room after a briefing and were immediately confronted by a 29-year-old man holding a knife, according to a Warwick Police press release.

The man lunged at police officers, striking 3-year Warwick Police Officer Jessica Masso in the torso, police said.

“Thankfully, the officer’s bullet proof vest stopped the knife and they were not injured,” police said in the press release. “Four officers, including the officer that was stabbed, discharged their firearms striking the suspect and ending the attack. Officers immediately rendered medical aid and summoned Warwick Rescue who transported the suspect to RI Hospital where he is in stable condition.”

The Attorney General’s Office, Rhode Island State Police and the Warwick Police Department will continue investigating the incident, police said.

Police have not said publicly how many shots, in total, were fired.

“In accordance with our Use of Force policy each of the officers involved has been placed on a non-punitive administrative leave pending completion of an administrative review,” according to the press release. “Additional information will be released as it becomes available.”

The suspect has been identified as Jacob Thomas, 29, of Warwick.

“Once released he will be formally charged with Felony Assault,” police said.

Warwick Police announced the names of the officers involved in the shooting. Besides Masso, Warwick Police Officer Oliver Pinheiro (3 years on the force), Officer Michael Bailey (3.5 years) and Sgt. Walter Larson (7 years) were involved in the shooting.

According to police, the officers discharged their weapons striking the suspect causing him to take several steps back.

Thomas then allegedly charged at the officers a second time, still holding the knife, causing officers to again discharge their weapons, police said.

Thomas fell to the ground and ignored the officers’ repeated commands to drop the knife, according to police. Thomas “attempted to get up and continued to point the knife at officers,” police said.

“Officers were then able to deploy a Taser causing the suspect to drop the knife and be taken into custody,” according to police.

Thomas remains hospitalized at RI Hospital, recovering from bullet wounds.

“We are extremely grateful that none of the brave men and women of the Warwick Police Department involved in this incident were seriously injured and grateful to the numerous members of law enforcement and the public who have expressed their support in the days following this unfortunate event,” Warwick Police said in a statement. “No further information will be provided at this time.”

The front lobby of Warwick Police Department was closed to the public temporarily, but has now reopened.

Blade Street standoff ends after SWAT entry

Last Friday was a busy day for Warwick Police.

At 6 p.m., Jan. 14, members of the Warwick Police Department also responded to 84 Blade St., Apartment No. 2, to investigate the report of a domestic disturbance.

The female resident reported that her ex-boyfriend, identified as Daniel Chandronnet, 31, of East Providence, had allegedly broken into her residence and was causing damage, according to Warwick Police.

Upon arrival, police found Chandronnet alone in the apartment, but he refused to exit. After unsuccessful attempts to have Chandronnet exit and surrender the Warwick Police SWAT & CNT (Crisis Negotiation Team) teams were activated, according to Warwick Police.

After nearly four hours the Warwick Police SWAT team made entry and located Chandronnet inside and took him into custody without further incident, police said.

No injuries were reported during the initial domestic event or during the standoff and arrest, according to a press release from Warwick Police.

Chandronnet was transported to the Warwick Police Department where he’s being held on numerous domestic violence charges, police said.

Members (and equipment) from the Rhode Island State Police SWAT team and the State Fire Marshal’s Explosives Operations Division assisted Warwick Police.  

“This incident was unrelated to the earlier officer involved shooting at police headquarters,” police said in a press release.

police, crime


No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here