Police Log 09/02/21

Posted 9/2/21

DUI Just before 1:30 a.m. on Aug. 14, officers Joseph DiIorio and Michael Bailey were conducting an impaired driving enforcement patrol on Post Road near Lincoln Avenue when they observed a 2015 Nissan Versa. "We observed the vehicle to almost strike the

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Police Log 09/02/21



Just before 1:30 a.m. on Aug. 14, officers Joseph DiIorio and Michael Bailey were conducting an impaired driving enforcement patrol on Post Road near Lincoln Avenue when they observed a 2015 Nissan Versa.

“We observed the vehicle to almost strike the telephone pole at the intersection of Lincoln Ave. and Post Road, then immediately swerved out of the way,” Bailey reports. “The vehicle then got onto Route 37 West and while traveling the on ramp, the vehicle was all over the road and unable to maintain its lane of travel. The vehicle then continued traveling westbound on Route 37 and was all over the road, crossing over the center line a total of five times and struck a construction barrel. The vehicle then took the Route 95 North exit and continued to travel while swerving all over the road and crossed over the center line three more times.”

The officers then stopped the vehicle and made contact with the operator, who reportedly had “the odor of alcohol emanating from her breath.” Bailey reports the operator “also had bloodshot, watery eyes and slurred speech.”

The operator is said to have acknowledged consuming alcohol that night and agreed to undergo field sobriety testing, which she reportedly failed.

Kayla R. Venticinque, 27, 274 Simmonsville Ave., Johnston, was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence and transported to Warwick Police headquarters for processing. While at headquarters, she is said to have refused a chemical breath test.

Venticinque was later released into the custody of a sober adult with a summons to appear in Third Division District Court on a charge of driving under the influence. She was additionally cited for refusal to submit to a chemical test, laned roadway violations and leaving the lane of travel.


Shortly before 5:30 p.m. on Aug. 10, Officer Connor Bemis received a report regarding a disturbance that occurred previously on Centerville Road near the Interstate 95 on-ramp.

Bemis responded to 85 Sycamore Drive in West Warwick to speak with the reporting party, who told the officer he had been involved in a road rage incident. The reporting party said he had been cut off by a Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup truck bearing Massachusetts plates when he took the off ramp from I-95 south onto Centerville Road.

The reporting party told Bemis “that the operator of the red Chevrolet proceeded to get out of his truck while blocking [him] from moving his vehicle, and quickly came up to his driver side door and began to kick it multiple times.” The damage left the door “impossible to open,” the reporting party said. The driver of the Chevrolet then reentered his truck and left the scene.

The reporting party provided Bemis with pictures of the pickup truck and its driver. The officer also observed the damage to the reporting party’s vehicle.

Bemis was subsequently able to trace the pickup truck to its registered owner, a Massachusetts woman. Police in Massachusetts contacted the woman, who reportedly said her son had been driving the vehicle on the day in question. Bemis then made contact with the woman’s son by phone, who reportedly acknowledged being involved in a “road rage incident” but declined to speak with police further.

The matter was forwarded to detectives, and a warrant for the driver of the pickup truck was later issued on charges of charges of vandalism/malicious injury to property and disorderly conduct. The reporting party also subsequently provided police with a statement placing the value of the damage to his vehicle at nearly $2,700.

At approximately 8:30 p.m., Bemis responded to Warwick Police headquarters to take custody of Michael W. Rhoades, 34, 25 Advent St., North Kingstown, who had turned himself in on the warrant. Rhoades was processed and later released with a summons to appear in Third Division District Court.


At approximately 9:16 p.m. on Aug. 12, Officer Kyle Fitzsimmons initiated a motor vehicle stop in the area of Post and Fullerton roads.

Fitzsimmons reports he had observed the vehicle, a Honda Accord, enter the Hampton Inn parking lot from Post Road. The vehicle had “heavy tint” on all of its windows, according to the officer. He also described the vehicle – which reportedly stopped in front of the hotel and then moved to a handicap parking space, where it sat for a “few minutes” before returning to Post Road” – as “suspicious.”

During the stop, Fitzsimmons reports the Honda’s windows were rolled down “so that I could not observe the tinted windows possibly in an attempt to not be stopped.” As he approached the vehicle, the officer observed a male operator and female passenger.

Fitzsimmons made contact with the male operator, who is said to have “had something in his mouth which was distorting his speech.”

“I asked him to open his mouth and [he] did slightly,” the officer reports. “I could not observe his mouth so I asked him to open it wider. I could see what appeared to be a thick white paste inside of his mouth and asked him what it was. [He] immediately put the vehicle in drive and accelerated away from the traffic stop.”

Fitzsimmons pursued the vehicle, which came to a stop a short distance away in the area of the Cru Hotel. Both the operator and passenger exited with their hands raised and were taken into custody.

According to Fitzsimmons, the operator told police he had ingested mushrooms during the initial stop. A rescue was called to the scene to conduct a check due to the uncertainty over what, and how much, the operator had ingested, the officer reports. The man was not charged with a crime but was cited for failure to obey police, the illegal window tint and laned roadway violations.

The passenger, meanwhile, is said to have initially provided police with a false driver’s license. Once she provided her actual name, she was found to be wanted on an active bench warrant issued from Superior Court.

Kristin Elyse Phelps, 35, 775 Wakefield St., West Warwick, was taken into custody on the warrant and additionally charged with providing false documents to a public official and obstructing an officer in the execution of duty. She was transported to Warwick Police headquarters for processing.

police, crime


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here