Police Log - 06/06/19


The Police Log is a digest of reports provided by the Johnston Police, Rhode Island State Police and other departments.


Three people sustained non-life-threatening injuries and a portion of Interstate 295 in Johnston was closed for nearly three hours as a result of a crash on Monday, according to Rhode Island State Police.

The accident occurred just north of Exit 7 in Johnston. State Police say two trucks owned by Mike’s Professional Tree Services in Coventry were traveling north when the first – a bucket/pole truck – slowed for traffic. It was then struck from behind by the second truck, which was towing a trailer holding a wood chipper. The first truck was flipped on its side, blocking travel lanes, while the second truck went off the road into an embankment.

Cranston rescue personnel transported the operator and passenger of the first truck to Rhode Island Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, and took the operator of the second vehicle to the hospital with minor injuries.

The crash remains under investigation.


Johnston Police arrested Thomas J. Cahill, 24, 67 Bishop Hill Road, Johnston, on Thursday on a felony count of sexual assault in the second degree.

The arrest stemmed from an alleged incident at Bar 101 at 1478 Atwood Ave. in Johnston on May 29. Johnston Deputy Police Chief Joseph P. Razza said through a press release that the victim told police that she was touched inappropriately.

Cahill, an off-duty Pawtucket police officer on probationary status, reported to headquarters on May 30 and was placed under arrest after interviewing with detectives.

Cahill’s bail was set at $10,000 personal recognizance, and he was ordered not to have any contact with the victim. His arraignment is set for June 10 at Kent County District Courthouse.


Members of the third watch patrol for the Johnston Police Department responded to El Panderia de El Paisano at 930 Plainfield St. on the night of May 26 for a call of a man in possession of a handgun.

Patrolman Matthew V. Leveillee said several patrons outside the business in the parking lot indicated that the suspect – identified later as Oscar Ochaeta Morataya, 26, 654 Plainfield St., Providence – fled east on foot in the direction of Silver Lake Avenue in Providence.

Ochaeta was spotted soon after on foot, and several officers ran to his location. Patrolman Kevin Brady was the first to the location and first to contact Ochaeta. Brady said that as he attempted to exit his car, Ochaeta pulled a black firearm from his waistband. Brady said Ochaeta kept the firearm at his side and pointed toward the ground, as police gave clear and loud verbal commands to drop the weapon.

After the third request, Ochaeta dropped the weapon and was ordered to the ground. The firearm was determined to be a Glock 23 .40 caliber. It was later discovered there was a round in the chamber with more in the magazine.

While conducting a search on Ochaeta, Leveillee found a small plastic baggy with a white substance. Leveillee said that when he held the bag, Ochaeta said, “That’s my cocaine.” A later measurement showed the cocaine to weigh about 2.8 grams.

Police also said that Ochaeta had a moderate odor of alcohol emanating from his breath, along with glossy and slightly bloodshot eyes and unsteadiness. Leveillee suspected Ochaeta was under the influence of “an intoxicating liquor.”

Police spoke with the reporting party and a witness, who said that Ochaeta arrived at the business already intoxicated. He asked for a beer and when he was told the establishment was closed, he lifted his shirt to show a handgun tucked in his waistband. Police noted the firearm was never brandished in the business.

Ochaeta was arrested on three felony counts, including license or permit required for carrying a pistol, possession of cocaine and carrying a weapon while intoxicated.


Patrolman Kevin Brady responded to a report of a man allegedly threatening customers with a metal pipe at Grieco Kia on 1880 Hartford Ave. on the afternoon of May 27.

As Brady was arriving, he was informed that the suspect was attempting to escape in a black pickup truck. He then saw the aforementioned truck at the western exit, and its front windshield was shattered. Police said cruisers were positioned in front of the truck, and contact was made with the driver – later identified as Kevin Bushee, 48, 11 Marine Ave., Warwick.

Police said Bushee was covered in blood and had a black expandable baton resting on the passenger seat. Bushee told police he had been fighting with his girlfriend and was hitting his vehicle with the baton out of anger. Since Brady said it was evident Bushee was under the influence of alcohol and narcotics, Bushee was placed in handcuffs as the investigation continued.

An employee told police that Bushee had been upset for most of the day. The employee said Bushee was hitting the vehicle with his baton and punching the windshield with his fists. Police said Bushee was also punching the dealership’s windows. Police said customers became so frightened that business ceased and the doors were locked until law enforcement officials responded. Passing drivers and traffic stopped as a result of the alleged disturbance as well.

Bushee was arrested on a count of disorderly conduct and transported to the hospital for his injuries. He was given a Third Division District Court summons for June 13. A no-trespass order was also issued.


Patrolwoman Kayleigh T. Cooper was on a fixed post at 1270 Hartford Ave. on the evening of May 24 when she witnessed a vehicle traveling eastbound without front or rear headlights on.

Cooper said she detained the vehicle and spoke with the driver, who was identified as William Marino, 29, 119 Newell Ave., Pawtucket. A check revealed that Marino had an active Third Division District Court bench warrant for an arrest originating out of Johnston for failure to appear on a charge of driving with a suspended license.

Cooper said another check showed Marino was in possession of a suspended driver’s license. Cooper said Marino was charged with driving with a suspended license, third offense, and additionally taken into custody on the bench warrant.

Marino was released on $2,000 personal recognizance for the suspended license charge, while also paying surety bail on the bench warrant. He was issued a District Court date of June 3.


Patrolman Matthew C. Rado responded to a report of shoplifting that already occurred at Super Stop & Shop on 11 Commerce Way the night of May 29.

Rado said he spoke with the loss prevention officer, who said he was able to detain Diane Siravo, 58, 204 Greenville Ave., Johnston. The officer told police that he witnessed Siravo place five items into her purse, and that she failed to attempt to pay for them after having paid for items at the register already.

The officer said the five items totaled only $9, but “he has give Diane several warnings in the past for attempting to steal and stealing from the store in the past.”

Siravo was arrested on one count of misdemeanor shoplifting, and she was given a Third Division District Court date of June 13. Police said Siravo was advised to stop visiting Super Stop & Shop or she will be arrested for trespassing.


Patrolman David Gilligan responded to the area of Plainfield and Nardolillo streets on June 2 to assist Lt. Joseph Salvadore with a motor vehicle stop.

Salvadore said that he recognized the front-seat passenger as Joshua Michael Carey, 28, 14 Bettle St., Providence. Salvadore said that Carey has four active arrest warrants – Superior Court full bench warrants for failure to appear for restitution review and failure to appear for sentencing on a violation; a Scituate Police Department warrant for three counts of vandalism; and a Warwick Police Department warrant for damage to property.

Carey was arrested and transported to headquarters.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment