Police Log



On December 21 at approximately 2:11 p.m., Patrolman Derek Parascandolo responded to Green Hill Road for an assault that had already occurred. Dispatch had advised that the Johnston Fire Department rescue was on the scene and had contacted the police in regards to the incident. Once at the scene, Officer Parascandolo found that the JFD had just left the scene with a male they were transporting to Rhode Island Hospital for a head and hand injury.

While on scene, Officer Parascandolo spoke with one of the involved parties, identified as Filippo Costantini, 46, of 2077 Plainfield Street in Johnston. Constantini stated that he was at the property delivering scrap metal, and that an ex-coworker was also present removing scrap from his own trailer. Constantini said that the man began to wave a hammer from the cab of his truck and called him over. Once Constantini approached the cab of the truck, the man opened the cab door, missed a step while getting out and fell on him. Constantini told the officer that he then grabbed a bat that was on the ground for self-defense. Nearby workers then approached and broke the two parties apart.

Officer Parascandolo observed both the hammer and bat that were left at the scene and photographed them for evidence. At the time, Constantini stated he did not wish to pursue criminal charges against the other party.

Officer Parascandolo then responded to Rhode Island Hospital with Sargent Stephen Altomari to speak with the injured man. He stated that he and Constantini have had past altercations. He told officers that Constantini approached the cab of his truck, opened the door, then began to attack him with a baseball bat. The man made it clear that he would like to pursue a criminal complaint against Constantini for the alleged assault. He was advised to visit police headquarters following his release from the hospital to provide a statement to detectives, which he did. Discharge paperwork from the hospital reported injuries from the assault as a concussion, head injury, facial laceration, stitches, and a contusion.

On December 24, an arrest warrant was prepared for Constantini, who was arrested on December 29 after turning himself in. He was charged with felony assault with a dangerous weapon.


Patrolman Matthew Leveillee along with multiple members of the department responded to a robbery report that had occurred around 2 p.m. on January 7. Dispatch had advised that the victim had reported a robbery and stated that a suspect, identified as Jason Maciel, 24, of 11 Tiernan Street in Warwick, had fled the scene in a silver vehicle.

At the scene, the complainant was found to have numerous minor injuries to his face and nose, and a distinct circular bite on the back of his right arm. JFD rescue was called to the scene to evaluate, however the victim refused transportation to the hospital.

The man stated that Maciel came to visit at approximately 1 p.m. and they left together in Maciel’s vehicle and drove to the 7-Eleven on Manton Avenue in Providence. At that location they both got into a silver SUV operated by an unnamed driver. The three then travelled to the man’s nearby residence.

There, Maciel is alleged to have displayed a stun gun/Taser device, which was used to assault the victim with 4 or 5 shocks to his midsection. Maciel then ordered the man to open a drawer where money was kept. A struggle took place, and the victim was struck repeatedly in the face with the stun device. The victim was also allegedly bitten during the attack. The man stated he was overwhelmed by the attack, and that Maciel made off with $3,200. The man stated he wished to pursue criminal charges.

JPD Officers, along with Warwick Police Officers later responded to Maciel’s Warwick residence. There he was taken into custody. He was charged with robbery, assault with intent to commit a felony, conspiracy, weapons other than firearms prohibited, and disorderly conduct.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment