Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports provided by the Johnston Police, Rhode Island State Police and other departments. 


On November 9 at approximately 5 p.m., Officer Arthur Petteruti responded to the Hurd Buick GMC on Hartford Avenue in reference to a motor vehicle accident. At the scene, Officer Petteruti was informed by Officer Derrick Palazzo that a thin built Hispanic suspect, later identified as Gilbert Dalomba Jr., 18, of 98 Brown Street, third floor in Pawtucket, had been observed operating a motor vehicle at the time of the collision. Officer Palazzo further stated that when he arrived on scene, he observed Dalomba seated in the front driver’s seat and was attempting to exit the parking lot.

Sergeant Stephen Altomari also conducted a show up with a witness, who according to the police report identified Dalomba as the driver during the accident. Officer Petteruti then spoke with Dalomba, who stated that he was driving his car and misjudged the distance of the gas pump at the nearby gas station and struck it while attempting to purchase gas. Dalomba told the officer that he was nervous because he did not have an active license and left the scene.

While speaking with Dalomba, Officer Petteruti noted a strong odor of cinnamon scented alcohol emanating from the suspect’s breath, and that he showed signs of being intoxicated. When asked, Dalomba allegedly said that he had “only a few” drinks, while officers observed two empty fireball whiskey shot bottles in the car’s middle cup holder. Dalomba was asked to submit to a series of standardized field sobriety tests, which he agreed to.

Based upon his performance during the tests, the officers’ observations and events leading up to the traffic stop, it was determined that Dalomba would be placed under arrest for suspicion of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence. He was transferred to police headquarters, where he later refused to take a chemical breathalyzer test.

Dalomba was criminally charged with driving under the influence, first offense, refusal to submit to a chemical test, driving with an expired license. He was issued a Third District Court summons to appear on November 27.


At approximately 8 p.m. on November 10, Patrolman Joseph Anderson responded to the area of 1450 Atwood Avenue for a report of a hit and run motor vehicle accident. While en route to the scene, dispatch advised the officer that a witness to the incident was currently following the suspect vehicle that had left the scene, which was described as a dark colored Ford Ranger.

Officer Anderson then observed the vehicle near the intersection of Atwood Avenue and Old Atwood Avenue traveling south in the outermost lane of travel. A traffic stop was then initiated, and additional officers arrived on scene to provide assistance.

Contact was then made with the driver, identified as Joseph White, 43, of 115 Ben Brown Avenue in Hope. While speaking with White, the officer asked if he was okay due to being involved in an accident. While allegedly replied, “No, I’m not okay, I’ve been drunk for three days.” Officers detected a “very strong” odor of alcohol emanating from White’s breath while he was inside the vehicle. White then stated that he had no recollection of being in an accident.

Officers observed substantial front end damage to White’s vehicle. He was then taken from the vehicle and patted down. White then became belligerent and angry, and was placed in hand restraints for safety. While being assisted to sit on the curb, White fell and cut the left side of his face. He was asked to submit to a series of sobriety tests, which he consented to.

Based upon his performance and officer’s observations, White was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence. He was then transported to police headquarters, where he later refused to take a breathalyzer test.

White was charged with driving under the influence, second offense, refusal to submit to a chemical test, driving with a suspended license, duty to stop-accident resulting, following to close, and operating a vehicle without insurance.

A witness to the accident later provided a statement confirming that the suspect struck the victim. The victim of the accident reported to the police that White rear ended her vehicle then fled.

White was arraigned before Justice of the Peace Vaziri, paid an administrative fee of $200, and was released on $10,000 personal recognizance to appear at the Third District Court on November 27. He was later released to a friend.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment